In Australia there are many regional migration programs that support regional development to help to supply the skill needs of regional employers.
They are employer-friendly, flexible and include concessions for regional employers. They aim to attract young, skilled, English speaking migrants to regional areas of Australia where they are most needed.
These programs cover all of Australia except Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Sydney, Newcastle, Wollongong and Melbourne.
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187)
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who currently live and work in Australia. It is part of the permanent Employer Sponsored visa program.
This visa is available to employers operating in regional, remote or low population growth areas of Australia, who have nominated skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their business by lodging an employer nomination.
To apply for visa 187 you must:
- be nominated by an approved employer who will nominate you for a position in their business in regional Australia.
- be younger than 45 years of age
- have the English language requirements.
- meet the qualifications and relevant work experience requirements
There are exemptions relating to age, skills and English language ability. These depend on your nominated occupation, salary and past work experience.
NOTE: Due to changes in legislation approved in April 2019, the Subclass 187 will close as a visa option on 16 November 2019 and be replaced by a temporary to permanent pathway
There will be two new skilled regional provisional visas introduced in November 2019:
- Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa: for people sponsored by an employer in regional Australia.
- Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa: for people who are nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by an eligible family member to live and work in regional Australia.
Holders of the new skilled regional provisional visas will need to live and work in regional Australia. Visas will be granted with a validity period of up to five years.
Holders of the new skilled regional provisional visas will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence visa. The Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa will commence in November 2022.
If you are interested in discussing this or any other visa matter, contact us to arrange a consultation today ph +61 (2) 9389 8610 or complete our online enquiry form