About Us  


Opportunities for your Future

Sponsorship | 457 SponsorshipPartner & Family Sponsorship | Regional Sponsorship

457 Employee Sponsor

The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa allows skilled workers to come to Australia and work for an approved business for up to four years.

An approved business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work. The nominated occupation must be on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List (CSOL).

Employers must be approved by the Australian government as an eligible employer. Employees are restricted to working only for their Sponsor and you can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

To apply for 457 visa you must:

  • be nominated  to work in an approved occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists
  • meet the skill requirements for the nominated occupation
  • meet registration and licensing obligations
  • speak vocational English
  • be nominated by an approved business.

This visa allows you to:

  • work in Australia for up to four years
  • bring your family to work or study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia as often as you want.

Before applying for this visa the employer must:

  • become an approved sponsor
  • nominate you for a position.

You can apply for this visa at the same time your employer lodges their applications to sponsor and nominate you. We work with your employer on this and on all steps of their sponsorship application.

Once working in Australia on the 457 visa a number of Australian permanent residence pathways may become available to the 457 visa holder. The Australian Government has recognized that 457 visas deserve priority in review as they are highly responsive to the needs of the market.

Information for Sponsors

If you are an employee who wants to sponsor a skilled worker from outside Australia then you need to apply for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457).

To become a sponsor, you must be able to show that your business:

  • is a lawfully operating business
  • meets training requirements (Australian businesses only)
  • agrees to the number of subclass 457 workers to be nominated
  • have no relevant adverse information against your business.
  • should also demonstrate their commitment to employing local labour as well


There are two ways you can become an approved sponsor:

Option 1: Apply to be a standard business sponsor

The standard business sponsorship arrangement is the most common way to sponsor a skilled worker using the subclass 457 visa program. You must lodge an application to become a standard business sponsor.

Option 2: Negotiate a labour agreement.

A labour agreement is a formal arrangement between an Australian employer and the Australian Government.

If you are interested in sponsoring an employee, Granger Australia will give you expert advice on the right occupation to nominate your employee. We have successfully helped many sole traders and businesses sponsor people on the Temporary Work (Long Stay) (457) visa.

Contact Granger Australia to find out the best options for your business + 61 (2) 9389 8610 or email us info@grangeraustralia.com.au






East Tower, Suite 405, Level 4, 9-13 Bronte Rd. Bondi Junction NSW 2022
info@grangeraustralia.com.au  |  Phone: +61 2 9389 8610  |  Fax: +61 2 8569 2383
© Granger Australia Pty Ltd.  All rights reserved.